Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lessons Learned

Potty training is going to be something I have a feeling we're going to be working on for years! After a weekend of no accidents I was thinking Monday was going to be a breeze. I took the boys to Augusta so Grandma McCoskey could meet Tucker and Hayden could play with Delaney. Because he usually falls asleep in the car, I just left Hayden in a pull-up so he didn't have an accident in the car. Probably a bad idea. Hayden never went to the bathroom once - just peed in his pull-up. Same thing at home. Sigh. He's just a stubborn little boy I guess! But on the plus side of things, he played so hard that he went to bed early that night!




Second lesson - watch out for the stream! I forget how spontaneous newborns are with their bodily functions! While giving Tucker a bath I got a shower myself - a golden shower that is. All down the leg of my jeans! Luckily, it was later in the evening and the only thing on the agenda was watching the Cowboys game.



Third lesson - don't teach your kid to say something just to irritate your dad! My dad despises the Dallas Cowboys which is not only America's team but my team as well (and I'm in the minority in this in my family). Over the weekend we were watching the K-State football game and my dad kept trying to get Hayden to say "Go Wildcats". Much to his dismay, Hayden would only say "Go Cowboys! Go Cowboys!" while raising his right fist into the air. Monday night I got it back. During the first quarter of the game, Hayden got excited and started cheering "Go Wildcats!" Poor confused child! 

The last lesson, really wasn't a lesson at all, more of a realization I guess. Daddy hooked up some speakers in the front room and has been playing two CDs continuously ever since - Fiona Apple and Kings of Leon. Tuesday before going to work, he had Kings of Leon playing and went to the garage with Hayden. That left me and Tucker in the living room. Tucker was a little fussy so I picked him up and just danced with him for a little bit. He immediately calmed down and almost fell asleep. While standing there in the living room, swaying with the little man in my arms, I started thinking about the "old days" of drinking, staying up late, sleeping in and just generally being irresponsible and stupid. Then I thought about the tiny little man in my arms. How anyone could not enjoy this ride is beyond me. One night Jason and I were talking about family members and how some are making good on the ambitious goals they put forth while others how gotten lost somewhere along the way. And we both decided that we're completely happy in our boring mediocrity. Not that every day is completely boring (especially with two little boys!), just not the type of stuff people would write books or make movies about! And that's fine with us!


This was not staged! Tucker was in the car seat and Hayden climbed up on the couch next to it!





No comments:

Post a Comment